The kids are home for summer and it won’t be long before you start hearing the familiar sound of “Mom, I’m bored!” Keep everyone entertained this summer with creative and crafty activities around the house.
Plan new outside activities
Create the perfect summertime fun in your own backyard! The web is full of ideas, but these are some of our favorites.
- Stargaze in the backyard. Grab some blankets and pillows on a clear night and enjoy the North Texas night sky. See if you can point out any constellations or create your own shapes in the stars.
- Make your own squirtable sidewalk chalk. Crush up chalk into a fine powder and add water into a squeeze bottle. Create your own masterpieces outside and watch the colors appear as the water dries.
- Plan a scavenger hunt around the neighborhood. See who can find flowers, neat rocks, and anything else fun around the block.
- Play water balloon baseball. Fill a few baskets with small water balloons, grab a baseball bat, and get ready to get soaked!
Create fun time inside
When it gets too hot or too rainy to play outside, these ideas will come in handy as the perfect backup plan!
- Plan a reading day. Head to your local library and load up on new books to read. Use pillows and blankets to create a comfy reading nook and dive in!
- Instead of watching a movie, grab items from around the house to use as costumes and props and act out the movie instead. The more creative you have to get, the more fun it will be. You can even host your own award show afterward.
- Transform your living room into a castle with a classic pillow fort! Bonus points if it’s used for naptime afterward as well.
- Three words: indoor obstacle course.
- Host a craft day. Put down some newspaper and wear old clothes to allow kids (and adults!) to get as creative as they want. You can use paint, markers, clay, or anything else to put together your own family art gallery.
Take a staycation
There are tons of ways to spend some time out and around the town right here in North Texas. If you’re looking for something new to try, check out the City of Denton website. You’ll find plenty of activities. From recreational sports to summer camps to places to cool off in the water, this guide will point you in the right direction for some major fun.
Wanting to venture a little to the south on 35? Lewisville packs their summers with all kinds of fun activities for the whole family. (And pets, too!)
Do you have plans for any other fun summer activities? Let us know over on our Facebook page! And remember, the Strittmatter SuperTechs are here to help you with any air conditioning, plumbing, or roofing problem that comes your way and threatens to derail your summer. Save our number and give us a call at (940) 566-1122.